Auto insurance solution: Connected Cars X
Connected Cars X solution is analyzing car sensors information in real-time. It helps agents set smart coverage for aggressive drivers and also helps regular drivers save on auto insurance.
As per recent research, Israel recorded over 300 road fatalities in 2019, which makes a 12.3% increase compared to 2018. So, the automotive sector in Israel needed a solution to change the fatal situation on roads for the better.
Over time, vehicles develop certain issues that the owners start noticing. Regular replacement of parts, oil, and other components keeps the car mechanism working well. If fuel consumption increases, it’s an indicator of a serious problem with the vehicle.
Our client, an Israel taxi fleet owner, noticed a relatively fast deterioration of car parts in one insured fleet. Damages led to extra expenses on insurance, maintenance, and repair services.
The main product idea was to analyze car sensor information in real-time. The information we collect includes:
– Cornering intensity
– Engine speed
– Engine temperature
The information we can analyze in real-time:
– The driving scores
– Trip comfort
– Aggressiveness scores
– Braking intensity
– Vibration level
– Optimal speed
It helps insurance agents set smart coverage for aggressive drivers, and also helps regular drivers save on auto insurance.
- Duration: September 2019 – October 2020
- Location: Israel
- Industry: Automotive / Insurance
- MVP Development, Product discovery, Embedded development
The client needed an effective and competitive solution to:
– collect real-time data to analyze the causes of rapid deterioration, road conditions, and fuel consumption;
– set the smart coverage for aggressive drivers and help regular drivers save on auto insurance;
– create a solution that reduces the likelihood of a road accident.
The solution had to use Secure Telematics Hardware with an OBD II interface and be fast and cost-effective.
- Connect OBD II connector. Receive, save, and transmit data to the cloud via the MQTT +SSL protocol
- Calculate needed segments. Calculate the car’s acceleration, harsh braking, average speed in general and while entering a turn
- Define performance. Define the average driving performance by hours, days, months, with the ability to view details
- Identify needed segments. Identify segments of the way where driving doesn’t meet the specified safety criteria
- Analyze performance. Analyze the driving performance
CHI Software developed the Connected Cars X — a software solution that collects required car parameters with the help of IoT devices.
– We built our software solution on cloud computing and Machine Learning technologies.
– We used an OBD II connector, available in all modern cars, to collect data.
– While driving, the RSA encrypted data is sent to the cloud every second via MQTT secure protocol.
– Information we collect: geolocation, acceleration, speed, cornering intensity, engine speed, engine temperature
– Connected Cars X provides such information as the driving scores, trip comfort, aggressiveness scores, braking intensity; vibration level; optimal speed.
Our technology stack
- AWS IoT Greengrass
- AWS Kinesis
- AWS Glue
- AWS Athena
- MQTT +SSL
- OBD II
- Thanks to the solution we provided, the fleet owner can now successfully negotiate the insurance company’s rates based on precise and real-time data.
- Connected Cars X became a helpful tool for transparent control of the vehicle condition and monitoring the diving style.
- Our development team provided research and MVP product development within estimated deadlines.
- Our solution reduces the risk of a vehicle accident.
- Connected Cars X also reduces the risks of vehicle depreciation.
According to our research, Israel recorded 355 road fatalities in 2019, representing a 12.3% increase compared to 2018. Moreover, in 2020, traffic-related fatalities in the United States alone amounted to around 38,700. So, the automotive sector worldwide needed a solution to change the fatal situation on roads for good. Glad we had a chance to make an impact and offer an effective solution powered by Machine Learning and smart devices. Basing on AWS cloud and using our mathematical module, we reduced the likelihood of a road accident and risks of vehicle depreciation.