Mobile IoT solution for greenhouses
Our client needed an automated greenhouse solution. This application helps people to automate and thus optimize work with the greenhouses premises.
A smart greenhouse is a new concept in agriculture that cultivates crops without human involvement. The global smart greenhouse market reached $1.37 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach $3.23 billion by 2027.
As a rule, micro-climate and other parameters in average greenhouses are recorded manually with limited data and time. Equipped with modern technologies and sensors, smart greenhouses automatically deliver crop-related information as per needed parameters.
Our client is an urban crop growing startup with the main focus on smart solutions for greenhouses – premises used for growing plants. The main aim of this product is to make agriculture and cultivation fun and provide a unique technology with an easy-to-use interface.
The main task was to make all processes in this smart agricultural system automated, with minimum manual work. Our client was also looking for a Mobile IoT solution to control a greenhouse both locally and remotely.
- Duration: September 2018 - December 2020
- Location: Israel
- Industry: Smart greenhouse
- Android app development, App development for custom Android tablet, Firmware development for custom control board (C++), Frontend development
Our client was looking for a smart greenhouse solution to:
– Minimize manual labor;
– Improve efficiency in resource and chemical use;
– Maintain an ideal microclimate in greenhouse premises;
– Improve security;
– Have an option to control a greenhouse locally and remotely;
– Have an effective software solution for the Android platform.
- Set up sensors and switches
- Turn on/turn off the sockets
- Set the rules in order to turn on/off the sockets at a given time or according to certain conditions
- View the history of particular sensors
Our development team provided the following solution:
– Created two Android applications for smartphone users and custom tablets
– Developed a custom control board with a set of internal interfaces to connect various types of sensors
– Developed a website including the backend part for the entire smart greenhouse solution
– And also synchronized the backend and related devices in one system
Our technology stack
- SQLite Provider/Analyzer
- Data Binding
- Our development team automated the functions of setting up the switchers and turning on/off the sockets
- We developed firmware for control sockets and sensors
- Added logic to control all sockets and create rules for them
- Created an Android app and an app for a custom tablet to operate with a custom control board
- We developed a backend remote control with complex real-time logic to control and sync everything
Our mobile IoT expertise is very strong: we have delivered many projects for smart houses, healthcare, and automotive industries. Still, it was the first project in smart greenhouse. So, it was curious to research the field and the app idea, deal with the customer’s pain points and deliver a great IoT solution that helps the customer’s business grow. Working on a smart greenhouse was exciting and a bit challenging. The thing is we always strive to offer the best-suited solution, even if we need to persuade our customers. So we had regular meetings and did our best to explain our point of view and its effectiveness for realizing the customer’s idea realization.